PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – Tiger Woods shot 1-under 70 within the first spherical of the 119th U.S. Open at Pebble Seaside. That’s the excellent news. Dangerous information is that he performed alongside Justin Rose, who shot 6-under 65 and leads the championship.
Listed here are just a few nuggets from a stroll with the legend round these hallowed grounds:
• It was a bizarre day. Looks like if Tiger hit an excellent drive, he’d hit a poor strategy shot and if he hit a poor drive, he hit a greater strategy shot. The one factor that was fixed was his placing, which bailed him out a number of key occasions.
• Last stats: 10 of 14 fairways, 9 of 18 greens and 25 putts. He had 11 straight pars to shut his spherical.
• That Tiger struggled along with his irons and nonetheless shot 70 needs to be an excellent signal for the following three days. I feel. Doesn’t it? If he can shoot beneath par with out what has been the very best a part of his recreation that’s an excellent factor.
• Par on the par-5 14th gap regarded like a double bogey the entire time, till it wasn’t. Tiger’s second shot was within the greenside bunker, however he blasted his third out into the thick tough past the inexperienced. His fourth shot was chopped onto the inexperienced greater than 30 ft from the opening. He drained the lengthy putt for par and that was that.
• Talking of double bogey, he made a kind of – an actual one – on the par-Three fifth gap when he hit an atrocious tee shot lengthy and left of the inexperienced. He was fortunate it didn’t bounce out of bounds. Tiger’s second was lengthy, his third was eight ft by the opening and he two putted from there for double-bogey 5.
• Tiger parred Nos. 1, 2 and three then the final 11 in a row. On Nos. Four-7 he went birdie, double bogey, birdie, birdie.
Reminder, we go at 11:24AM ET tomorrow. Be there. pic.twitter.com/hrpUosFQyF
— Tiger Tracker (@GCTigerTracker) June 14, 2019
• Again to placing. It bailed him out extra than simply on the 14th gap. Tiger made a 20-footer for par on the second, a 25-footer for birdie on the par-Three seventh gap and made a terrific two putt from 60 ft on the par-Four 15th.
• In his personal phrases: “I didn’t hit my irons as crisp as I’d like. I attempted to overlook the ball within the right spots, and a few occasions the place I had wedges in my hand I used to be simply dumping, middle of the inexperienced, transfer on, get my 30-, 40-footer and transfer on about my enterprise and take my medication once I was in a foul spot.”
• Trying forward, Tiger will get again on the market within the morning at eight:24 a.m. PT (11:24 a.m. ET) however he begins his spherical on the 10th gap. After his first spherical he famous that he’s zeroed in on the primary seven holes because the place to “make hay” this week. So, on Friday it means he’ll attempt to dangle on over the primary 9 holes earlier than he begins to go for it extra as soon as he makes the flip.